11/7 (Sun) Miichi 1999 and Iokibe 2020

I read 見市(1999)ロンドン=炎が生んだ世界都市 for 2.1. A historian's book about the Great Fire of London (1666). Miichi-san criticized "one-world history" and aimed to a new history from a global perspective. The 17th century was a period from the medieval world to the modern world. This book described the Great Fire with witch hunts, apocalypse, the scientific revolution, a religious revolution, energy revolution, and a comparison with the Great Fire of Meireki (1657). At that time, nature became a target of conquest, not symbiosis. Nature was turned into a "pet" like conservation, garden city, and the modern England lifestyle culture. The progressive perspective was about to become widespread. Many insightful descriptions about modernization.


I tried to read 五百旗頭(2020)嘘の政治史 for personal interest. I thought this book was irrelevant to my study and too tricky for me. But I realize that this is not so. In the beginning, he mentioned natural disasters and the responsibility of history.  I read the description of Sofuku (Genichiro Fukuchi and Yukichi Fukuzawa) with particular interest.

In the evening, I did some muscle training at the MAC and rearranged the room layout in the apartment.