1/23 (Mon) - 1/24 (Tue): Camus / Jeonghun-san / Interview with Nakajima-san

1/23 (Mon)

I finished writing about Camus's Plague. It was about 4-5 pages but took a lot of time to write. I organized the overlapping stories from two perspectives: government and administration, people and society, and added some thoughts on disaster response. I had coffee with Jeonghun, a doctoral student, during the day. He showed me an interesting illustration of Fukuzawa Yukichi's reading during training.


1/24 (Tue)

I finished the accounting of the Kaken for FY2021. Then I organized the material on the Great Fire of London. Using some literature, I wrote about the social situation and social structure before the disaster. In plague, I wrote the change in social structure from the middle ages to the early modern period. In the Great Fire of London, I will describe the change in social structure from early modern to modern.

In the evening, I interviewed Mr. Nakajima of NHK, with whom I had worked on an NHK special five years ago. He later moved to the Sendai office to cover the recovery from the 3.11 disaster. He is now also acting as a news commentary on disasters. He led NHK's specials after 10-year including "Fixed Point Video: A Record of 10 Years" and the reconstruction budget. He also told me about his coverage in Minamisanriku, the disaster remains in Kesennuma and the lack of inspection of the Fukushima nuclear accident.